Does Your Tooth Hurt? These Signs Mean You Might Need an Extraction
A toothache is always an indication that there’s a problem that needs attention. It may be the result of something as minor as a small cavity or as significant as an infected root canal. Unfortunately, there are some cases where the problem is not treatable, and you may require tooth extraction at our Hershey, PA dental office.
We want you to enjoy the beauty and function of your natural teeth for as long as possible. Dr. Wes Davis will make every effort to find an appropriate solution and save the tooth. But sometimes we have no choice but to perform an extraction.
Some reasons we perform extractions are:
- A root canal is so severely infected that we can't save it with traditional treatment.
- Extensive decay has left a tooth so damaged that a crown or filling a restoration is not an option.
- Severe periodontal disease has caused so much damage that there isn't enough bone left to support the tooth.
- A wisdom tooth has erupted in such a way that it is crowding other teeth, making proper oral hygiene nearly impossible.
- Teeth need to be removed to make room for dentures or orthodontic treatment.
We understand that, even if you accept the reason for having a tooth extracted, you still have strong feelings about losing a tooth. After all, you were counting on keeping all your teeth for a very long time!
Rest assured, we won’t ever recommend removing a tooth unless we have exhausted all other options available to us. If tooth extraction at our Hershey, PA dental office is necessary, we will support and encourage you during the procedure. Afterward, Dr. Davis will help you choose an appropriate tooth replacement so you can smile again with confidence.
If you have a problem with a tooth and think you may need extraction, please don’t delay calling us. The sooner we see you, the more opportunities we have to try to save the tooth.